Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Do you need to learn japanese to study in Japan?

This entry is to answer saoirse question on whether learning japanese is necessary to apply for scholarship in Japanese University.

I did a quick google search and found this: http://dhas.hyarc.nagoya-u.ac.jp/sdcp/ag07.htm
where the requirements include:

A completed application form with one attached photograph [PDF, 130kb]
Proof of citizenship in country with diplomatic relations with Japan.
Official certificate of a Master's degree (or a letter from a graduate school attesting to expected award of Master's degree) and an undergraduate diploma from a university or college (Bachelor’s or equivalent).
Official transcripts from the applicant's master’s and undergraduate programs. 
A certificate of English proficiency, preferably a TOEFL score.
A copy of the applicant's Master’s thesis (if completed).
Two confidential recommendation letters on the linked form [
PDF, 100kb]. Each letter should be sent directly to the Professor In Charge in a sealed envelope with the signature of the recommender over the flap of the envelope. One recommendation letter from a high-ranking person, such as the dean of a graduate school, chair of a department, president of a company, or a person in an equivalent position is strongly recommended.

Only English proficiency is required - therefore not being able to communicate in Japanese is so a problem.

As from personal experience, almost all classes (I havent't come across one that isn't though) in Nagoya University are conducted in Japanese, the same goes to the research seminars, even when foreigner who does not understand Japanese is there. I used to attend weekly meetings, conducted in Japanese with powerpoint slides in Japanese as well - lucky for me that I understand chinese, I could at least read the kanji on the slide. Otherwise I would fell asleep in that 3-5hours of weekly meeting...

Therefore knowing Japanese is important, as not much students/staffs will talk to you as they found it hard to express themselves and some are just too shy, even in the university. I did meet a few nice Japanese who love English and talk to me a lot, but I think I'm really lucky on that. But there're foreigners from China, Mexico, US, Brazil as research students too so you'll still be able to find someone to chat with when you are bored =p

And to learn Japanese, there're plenty of classes (some are free) conducted in the university, so you can start learning when you are in Japan. I personally think learning Japanese in Japan is more effective as you get to practise it the whole time =p

So, in short, picking up a bit of nihongo (Japanese) is definitely a plus - well you can always learn from anime, songs, lonely planet language book, pimsleur mp3 (I have this oral Japanese lessons mp3 with me) so you could at least make sure you could get to your accomodation once you reached there. But it's okay to only start learning when you are in Japan I guess =p

2 comments:

Rae said...

konnichiwa.

Wow, at least now I know that even though it's not a must, but it's value-added to know nihongo. Thanks for your tips, lasilasi. *wink*

Eehui said...

hi saoirse,

yupyup. I talked to a professor from Nagoya Uni (Prof Suenaga) last week and confirmed that it's not necessary. In fact, there are *some* subjects conducted in English =p